Hot Malasadas Recipes -- thank you

"Joni Repasch" <jrepasch@infi.net>
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:50:53 -0800
v101.n014.19
Thanks to Judy Maybury, who sent me this recipe directly, I was able to
make these "fritters" Friday afternoon.

Also, many thanks to dhh --  upstart at bu.ii4u.or.jp two recipes submitted
this week, I now have two more to add to my collection.

Say, I bet this recipe would be a great batter for fruit or corn
fritters.  Must give it a try sometime.

Thanks ever so much for your help,

joni

Hot Malasadas

HAND MIXING METHOD:
Combine and let stand:
  1/2 cup warm water
  1 yeast cake [I used 2-1/4" Instant Dry Yeast]

Mix together in a bowl
  2-1/2 cups flour
  4 T. powdered milk
  1/2 t. salt
  1/4 t. freshly grated nutmeg

Beat together
  4 eggs
  4 T. sugar

Mix all above ingredients with these in a large bowl and let rise for 2
hours. Stir again just before frying.

2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 t. lemon extract
¼ c or t. or T water

FRYING:
Drop batter from the end of a spoon in small spoonfuls into oil heated to
about 375 F. When brown, drain on paper towels and shake in a bag with
granulated sugar if desired.

ELECTRIC MIXER METHOD:

Place all dry ingredients EXCEPT the SUGAR in mixer bowl. Using the paddle
attachment mix on #2 to combine well.

Meantime:
  Beat eggs and sugar together. Set aside.
  Mix 1/2 cup warm water, vegetable oil and lemon extract in small bowl;
set aside.
  Measure 1/4 CUP water in separate bowl; set aside.

Turn mixer on to #2. Slowly add the egg/sugar mixture, add the 1/2 cup
water, oil and lemon extract. Beat until well combined several minutes. Add
enough of the extra 1/4 cup water to make a smooth batter.

Cover mixing bowl and allow batter to rise about 2 hours. The batter will
be ready when the batter is puffy and you see lots of air bubbles forming
at the surface. Stir well before frying.

Follow instructions above for deep frying, etc.

The secret to a less oily malasada is to insure the oil temp has reached
375 F before cooking. Insert a candy thermometers into the pot while
heating the oil. When it reaches 375 F and maintains that temp for a full
minute start frying the malasadas, no more than 4 at a time.

Using a tablespoon to drop the malasadas into the fat creates a 2-1/2-3"
malasada.

YIELD: About 30 malasada
SOURCE: from the San Diego newspaper