New Bread Machine Owner

"Regina Rectanus" <smfarm@bellsouth.net>
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 23:42:57 -0500
v101.n002.13
This is for Virginia Scottish Crofters requesting a no-fail bread recipe for
her new bread machine.  The recipe on the back of King Arthur flour for
Bread Machines is a great one.
The secret for success in my opinion is the flour.  (Unsollicited
testimonial).  If you can  locate the KA flour for BREAD MACHINES, you'll
have your own copy.  If you can't, here is the recipe:

TOAST & SANDWICH BREAD

2-1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast (l packet) if you don't buy your yeast in
bulk.
2-1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lukewarm water
1 cup lukewarm milk
2 teaspoons salt
3-1/4 cups King Arthur Special Flour for Machines
3  tablespoons butter melted

Bread Machine Instructions:  (1-1/2 lb. or larger machine):  Place all of
the ingredients into the pan of your bread machine, program the machine for
Basic White Bread (or equivalent and press start.

My own notes:  I place the lukewarm water and l cup of lukewarm milk in the
pan first, then I add the sugar and the melted butter.  Next, in goes the
Special Flour for Bread Machines, the salt and last, make a little
depression in the flour and put in the yeast.

Using the above ingredients and the KA Flour, everything seems to be in
proper proportion - I do not need to check the dough consistency because it
seems to be just right every time but you should do this the first time you
are using this recipe.  While it is in the second knead, after about ten
minutes or so, use the pause button if you have one and pinch the dough to
make sure it isn't too gooey.  It should be nice and smooth without sticking
to your fingers.

Also, if you have a health food store, buy your yeast in bulk (1/4 lb.)  and
store it in a glass jar in your freezer.  It is much more economical than
the 3 packet type found on the grocer's shelf and it does a great job.  Good
luck and get ready to enjoy great toast and jam!! My machine is a Breadman
Ultimate and I love it!!

The bread recipe that Reggie posted for her new Breadman Ultimate in
bread-bakers.v100.n070.1 Easy French Bread <R T> is another winner each
time.  Nice crisp crust and delicate interior!!