Fw: BBD 100-073 re: Type of Yeast used in Jewish Rye Bread & Bagels

"Joni Repasch" <jrepasch@infi.net>
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:20:13 -0800
v100.n075.5
Lorna Noble asked about the yeast that I use for Rose Levy Beranbaum's Bagels.

<<
I loved the story, and the recipes look great. However, I use yeast which
doesn't require proving when making bread (getting fresh is impossible,
and dried is less reliable), and wondered why you insist on dry/fresh instead
of instant-bake?

Lorna Noble, Strathbungo, Glasgow, Scotland

I probable use the same type of yeast you do, INSTANT. The recipe I
submitted to the list was a direct steal from the Washington Post
Newspaper. I did not write the article or develop the recipe. I thought the
article so interesting that perhaps everyone on the list would like to at
least one of the recipes. As a matter of fact I've been so busy the last
three months with grandchildren visiting from AZ I've had almost no time to
either read or respond to much e-mail. I'm now just getting around to
reading all the BBD posts since the middle of September. Actually I sent
the article to Reggie and asked her to post it to the BBD if she thought it
would be appropriate.

If I were you I'd go right ahead and use whatever yeast you currently have
on hand. I use instant yeast for all of my bread baking and have never been
disappointed.

I also noted that you get frustrated with all the bread machine recipes
sent to the list. I do also as I use either my KitchenAid to mix and knead
my breads or the two hands I was born with. You might want to hear from
from others on the list before taking my advice. I just wing it, meaning I
follow the ingredients in a bread machine recipe, mix and knead, and bake
it as I normally would.

Best to you across the Atlantic,

joni repasch from Arlington, Virginia, USA.

[[Jeff says to look for normal-rise instead of rapid-rise/bread machine
dried or instant yeast.]]