vegetarian bread loaf weight

SloSherri@aol.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:40:03 EST
v100.n074.23
<<The Vegetarian Resource Group had this "formula" at their website. I
thought it might be useful for those wanting to design their own breads.

I have a question, though, since this uses 3 cups of flour, wouldn't this
actually make a 1 1/2 lb loaf?>>

Ellen,

I've never baked with a bread machine, but I believe you are thinking that
three cups of flour equals 24 ounces, or 1 1/2 pounds, because there are 8
ounces in a cup.  Flour weighs only 4 1/4 ounces per cup, so that would not
necessarily translate into a 1 1/2 pound loaf, although since I don't bake
with bread machines, I may be completely off base.

Anyway, 8 ounces/cup is liquid measure, and solids all measure differently
(i.e., sugar weighs more than flour, but less than water, per cup).

Sherri