bread baking with kids

"Jane Koca" <mommy_k@hotmail.com>
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 07:59:36 EST
v100.n073.18
Help!

I volunteer at a "Kids Cafe" a program of the Second Harvest Foodbank. At
Kids Cafe, underprivileged children from a local school district are fed a
nutritious evening meal, and given a safe nurturing place to spend after
school time;  some of the children have expressed an interest in learning
to make bread;  -so I am the one privileged to teach them------has anyone
ever done this?  any helps and ideas?  The Fleischman's yeast site has been
helpful, but I am interested in hearing from anyone who has really done
this.  I will have four or five 12-13 year old girls to start.

We are starting with a bread mix, courtesy of the local food bank, and so
this first time will just learn about the liquid temperature, kneading,
etc.  Next time, we will start from scratch.  I am excited about this
project---you know the old saying "Give a person a fish and you feed them
for a day;  teach them how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime", but
would welcome and suggestions or ideas.

Thanks for any help you can give me!  Bread bakers are the best!
                                Jane dough

PS:  The good Benedictine Sisters get the credit for this program in Erie,
PA (Northwestern PA Food Bank);  it is an outreach ministry of their Emmaus
Ministries including their soup kitchen.  I am just a volunteer and the
bread baking teacher.