Mandelbrodt

Epwerth15@aol.com
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 11:13:49 EST
v100.n071.27
The Jewish version of biscotti is called  mandelbrodt, and the process is
the same...twice baked.  My grandmother used to make it all the time, but
once ran out of almonds and used pecans instead.  The taste and texture
were wonderful!  The pecans made the finished product a bit softer.  I now
make it with pecans all the time.

MANDELBRODT (OR PECAN BREAD, TO BE EXACT!)

       3 cups all-purpose flour
       2 tsp. baking powder
       1/2 tsp. salt
       1 c. choppped pecans
       1 c. vegetable oil
       1 c. sugar
       3 extra large eggs
       3/4  c. mini chocolate chips (optional)
       Cinnamon-sugar mix for top

Heat oven to 350 F.  Grease two baking sheets.  Mix flour, baking powder,
salt, and pecans in medium bowl.  (I use a plastic bag--no bowl to
wash).  In large mixer bowl beat oil, sugar and eggs for 2 minutes.  Add
flour mixture and beat till well combined.  Fold in chocolate chips if using.

Divide dough into quarters and place 2 pieces on each baking sheet.  Rub
your hands on the baking sheet so dough won't stick to them and form each
piece into a flat loaf, about 1 1/2 inches wide and 3/4 inch high (length
doesn't matter).  Sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar.  Bake 20 - 25
min. or till dough feels fairly firm when pressed lightly in the
center.  Remove from oven.

Slice each loaf diagonally in 3/4 inch slices and turn each slice cut side
up.  Return to oven for about 15 min. more.

Here's another one...taste and texture different, but process the
same.  This one is made in a food processor.

APRICOT-PISTACHIO BISCOTTI
Heat oven to 350 F.  Grease two baking sheets.

Combine in food processor and pulse to combine:
        1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
        1/2 c. whole wheat flour
        1 c. sugar
        1/2 tsp. baking powder
        1/4 tsp. salt
Add and pulse till like coarse meal:
        5 tbl. cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces
        3/4 tsp. vanilla
Add  and pulse to  blend:
        2 eggs, lightly beaten
Add and pulse to blend:
        2/3 c. chopped dried apricots
        1 c. roasted, unsalted pistachios

Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead to form dough. Divide in half
and form  into two 12 inch long rolls, 2 inches wide on baking
sheets.  Sprinkle with sugar.  Bake 25 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes, then
slice diagonally into 1 inch wide slices.  Turn slices cut side up and
return to oven for 7 minutes.