Buttermilk substitute

Paul and Ruth Provance <prmtprovance@erols.com>
Sat, 04 Nov 2000 08:48:07 -0500
v100.n071.15
Dear Phyllis,

I would say that the added vinegar would work just fine in milk substitutes
to make non-dairy buttermilk.  The actual proportion I use is 1 tsp per 1/4
cup of milk.  That would be 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon for a cup of milk,
but I don't think that little bit would make that much difference...  In
baked goods, does the "curdled texture" of buttermilk make that much
difference?  The real attraction of buttermilk in non-yeast raised baked
goods is to add the acid to help the baking soda and baking powder do their
stuff.

I wish you and your friend well.

Ruth