Question about buttermilk

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 07:36:27 -0800 (PST)
v100.n069.12
On another recipe list I subscribe to, there is a woman with a question
that really triggered my curiosity. She wants, for religious reasons, to
use no dairy products in her bread machine. This is easy enough to deal
with, generally, as most of the lactose intolerant people I know have found
that either soy milk or rice milk makes an adequate substitute for dairy
milk. However, she has found a number of recipes she wants to use that call
for buttermilk and her usual substitute ingredient (I'm not sure which she
uses) won't work for that.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to substitute for buttermilk? She's
thinking a tablespoon of vinegar in her milk substitute, but that just
doesn't sound right. Part of the appeal of buttermilk is the slightly
curdled texture, and that's not going to happen with rice or soy milk.

Bright blessings

phyllis

Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
http://www.cats-cradle.com/hearthstone/index.html
Also visit the world of the lovely Miss Tesla (Tibetan Terrier of great
virtue) at http://www.angelfire.com/co2/Tesla/index.html.

"All tribal myths are true, for a given value of 'true.'"
--Terry Pratchett (THE LAST CONTINENT)