Cornbread Recipe ???

Corky Courtright <corky@mminternet.com>
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:14:59 -0700
v100.n068.10
When I was a child (long time ago) my neighbor, who was from Arkansas, made
cornbread every morning.  I can remember a lot about it but not enough to
duplicate it.  It was made with white cornmeal and buttermilk.  She would
first fry salt pork in a cast iron frying pan.  While it was frying she
would mix the batter for the cornbread.  When the salt pork was done she
would remove it and pour the fat from the pan into the batter, stir and
pour the batter into the hot pan.  She would then cover the pan and cook
the cornbread on top of the stove until it was done.  I don't remember her
using any flour and the resulting bread was dense and chewy.

If anyone has a recipe similar to this I would love to have it.

Tnx, Corky