No need to Knead

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 06:36:52 -0700
v100.n067.3
I make the recipes from this book all the time.  I mix all the dry
ingredients together in a dough trough or shallow bowl, make a well in the
center and then begin adding the liquid.

When the dough reaches the correct consistency, i.e. soft, sticky, gooey
and stringy, I stop adding the liquid.

The amount of liquid can vary considerably depending on the temperature,
humidity, altitude, age of the flour (and possibly the alignment of the
planets) but it can be different from day to day.

Some flour can absorb water like a sponge and another flour will turn into
soup.

When I get a new batch of flour (I usually buy in large bags) I will test
it by scaling out 4 oz and adding 1 oz of water and checking the way it mixes.

When making dough in one of my machines, I measure out the water and place
about 3/4 into the pan, add the dry ingredients and start the process.  If
the dough looks dry after it has processed well into the cycle I can add
more liquid.  However once you have added it you can't take it away.

Adding more flour can totally change the texture and taste of the crumb and
crust.  I would not recommend it.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be