Coiled Bread Baskets

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:00:21 -0400 (EDT)
v100.n059.18
This is for Susie in Atlanta who was asking about a suitable substitute for
expensive coiled baskets.  I happen to be a basket maker so I just made my
own baskets and lined them with linen dish towels.  If you don't make
baskets, find someone who does, or simply buy some.  Don't get a "cheapo"
that is too flimsy to carry the weight of the dough, but there is no reason
to pay a lot of money for these baskets.  Mine are not even coiled, but
simply woven of sturdy reed aka rattan.

I allow my dough to rise in the baskets, and then flip them over on my peel
to slide them onto my baking stone.  The use of baskets depends upon the
dough. Many recipes for rounds or boules are strong enough to hold their
shape without the support of a basket.  I'll send you a recipe if you tell
me what kind of bread you are interested in; i.e sourdough, rye, etc.  I've
got a terrific recipe for a bread called Oreganato that was originally
developed by Brother Juniper's Bakery.  Let me know.

Bob the Tarheel Baker