cleaning stoneware baking "stone"

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:38:50 -0700
v100.n059.5
For Yvonne,

Take your stone - get a very stiff brush - I use a nail brush but one of
the small scrub brushes  will work.

Cover the stone with a layer of dry baking soda.   barely dampen the brush
- that is, dip it in water then blot it on a cloth so just a little
moisture remains.  Scrub the stone using small circular motions so the
circles overlap and go over the entire surface at least 3 times in this
manner.  Brush the soda off onto a paper towel or sheet of newspaper - so
you can use it again if need be.  Check the surface and if some spots still
remain, repeat the process.

Incidentally, this is a great way to clean old, baked-on grease from waffle
irons.   Dry baking soda and a barely damp cloth or paper towel will remove
the baked-on grease spots from chrome, from the outside of stainless steel
pans, from the inside of your oven door glass, etc. etc.    I collect
antique electric appliances, waffles and toasters, sandwich bakers from the
20s and 30s.  This is the way I polish the chrome so they  look nearly new.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be