Fwd: terracotta and purple ribbons

Lobo <lobo119@worldnet.att.net>
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:12:09 -0600
v100.n057.10
 > >Elisabeth Keene <swanmore@yahoo.com>
 > >Subject: Seasoning terracotta

I use terracotta floor tiles and have also used a flowerpot saucer for
baking.  Never did a thing to them insofar as seasoning but sprinkle a
little cornmeal over them.  The bread doesn't stick once it loses its
moisture, BUT you have to place it in the right spot the first time because
it will stick while it's still raw.

I took 4 loaves of bread to the county fair this last week and got blue
ribbons on all of them and purple on 2.  Interesting comments on the
judge's sheets:  White: too yeasty.  Whole-wheat: wonderful flavor.  I'd
used my tried and true 4-H Champion Bread recipe (which is in the
archives).  I mixed all the ingredients except the flour, divided the
result in 2, then added white flour to one batch and whole wheat to the
other.  So one was too yeasty and the other wonderful flavor ... go figure.

I got the purples on the sourdough version of the white and a rye which
uses burned sugar.  I'll post that rye recipe another day since I don't
have access to it at the moment.