excess moisture - measuring error?

Jessica Weissman <jweissmn@his.com>
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:04:03 -0400 (EDT)
v100.n053.11
With regard to the excess moisture, have you checked to make sure that you
are measuring correctly and that your measuring cup is not off?  Since you
have to add more to all recipes, maybe the measurements themselves are off.

Lots of the large liquid measures I've seen are off by a good bit.  And are
you sighting the measurement at eye level, and using the bottom of the
meniscus (dip in the surface) as your mark?  In a wide measure the
difference between the top of the meniscus (sighting against the side of
the cup) and the bottom could be significant.

 >--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v100.n052.11 ---------------

From: Jesse Wasserman <jesswass@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Excess Moisture

Can anyone explain why whenever I follow a bread recipe some how the dough
always becomes slack and I have to add more flour than the recipe calls
for. I know that Florida is very humid but I cant believe that is the
cause?? I just finished  a recipe for a sourdough oatmeal bread from
Bernard Clayton's book and instead of 5-6 cups of flour I had to add well
over 7 cups. Fortunately the breads turned out well but I ended up with 4
:breads instead of 3.