Sourdough and outdoor ovens

Cindy Lewellen <cindysbread@yahoo.com>
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:11:35 -0700 (PDT)
v100.n048.8
Hi,
    This is in response to Madeleine's question about
outdoor ovens.  I don't have one, but as it gets
hotter, it is looking more tempting.  There is a very
interesting book called The Bread Builders: Hearth
Loaves and Masonry Ovens by Daniel Wing and Alan
Scott.  It has lots of information about bread and
building ovens.  Alan Scott is a baker and an oven
builder from California.  There is an brick oven
e-mail list you can sign up for at www.onelist.com and
the website is  http://avalonrecords.com/brickoven/

       I also made a sourdough using Nancy Silverton's
directions.  My family thought I was crazy when I did
it, but I have been making sourdough bread from it for
3 or 4 years and everyone loves it.  The crusts are
hard.  I got a bread knife that is like a little bow
saw when I was in Seattle.  It works very well.  If
you are interested, I could look for the name of the
company.  It's beautiful as well as functional.

     Happy baking,
        Cindy L.