more muffins and a request

"Joan and Larry Ross" <rosskat@pipeline.com>
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:22:37 -0400
v100.n046.13
Hello again,
I forgot to request a recipe for arepa which is a cornbread type of
bread/pancake . The kind I ate from a street vendor was a yellow moist
cornbread filled with mozzarella cheese and cooked on a griddle. I believe
the arepas were prepared ( formed ) ahead of time and then finished cooking
on a griddle to brown and also melt the cheese.

I tried the recipe from a package of  white masa ( precooked white
cornflour ) but their recipes for arepas were dense.

I certainly would like the  fluffier kind made from the yellow cornflourl

Now onto to some more summer muffins.

Pina Colada Muffins

1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup margarine softened at room temperature.
1 cup sour cream
1/2  tsp rum extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 small can crushed pineapple well drained
1/2 cup flaked coconut

Combine sugar, egg, margarine, sour cream and extract and beat to blend
well. Combine remaining dry ingredients. Combine both mixtures until just
blended. Stir in pineapple and coconut. Put into prepared muffin tins or
cups, filing 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated 375 oven about 20 to 25
minutes or tested done. About 10 standard muffins

Vanilla Zucchini Muffins
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 Tbs vanilla
2 cups shredded, unpeeled drained zucchini
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Combine eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in zucchini. Combine remaining
dry ingredients and set aside 1/4 cup dry mixture and toss with raisins and
nuts. Add zucchini mixture to  remaining dry mixture and stir to blend. Fold
in raisins and nuts. Place mixture  2/3 full into prepared muffin tins or
cups. Bake in a 350 oven 20 to 25 minutes or tested done. Yield about 1
dozen standard.

Visit our web page: personal as well as fabulous baking & culinary topics
Find new  as well as old favorite recipes
Place baking primers to help you bake almost anything
http://www.pipeline.com/~rosskat/