Re: Pizza Dough

"Peter and Susan Reinhart" <s.reinhart@prodigy.net>
Fri, 19 May 2000 23:49:13 -0700
v100.n044.7
Dear all fellow pizza lovers,
   I've had so many great pizza's over the years that I'm reluctant to say
one recipe is the best, but I can say this: there is one way to improve
practically every pizza dough recipe, and that is to use the same trick most
good pizza parlors use--retard the dough overnight before using it. Follow
your favorite recipe and, after thirty minutes into the first rise--don't
worry if it hasn't increased in size-- divide the dough into the desired
size balls, rub each ball lightly with olive or vegetable oil, place on a
sheet pan (I cover my pan with baking parchment to protect against an
oxidation reaction between the dough and the metal, but this is more likely
to happen with old pans that have lost their glaze), place the sheet pan
into a plastic trash bag, seal the bag and place in the fridge overnight
(you can actually keep these up to three days in the fridge). When ready to
make the pizzas the dough will be very relaxed and easy to roll out or toss
but, more importantly, the flavor will be dramatically improved due to the
enzymatic release of natural sugars from the starch. If you handle the dough
gently you will also get a great puff around the edges of your pizza, just
as the pizza parlors do.
    I'd love to hear from anyone who tries this technique to find out if you
agree that it noticeably improves your pizza dough.
    Happy pizza pie-ing!
    Peter Reinhart

PS This technique also dramatically improves focaccia. Press the dough into
the oiled pan on the first day and then retard. Proof and bake on the second
day. You'll be amazed at the difference!