fresh spices

Haacknjack@aol.com
Sat, 20 May 2000 11:28:51 EDT
v100.n044.6
For: gdenyer@region.net
Subject: Never enough spice.

Glory, the most common problem with spices is that we all keep 'em until
they're old and tired.  And if we don't, the supermarket where we bought them
may well have.  So very fresh spices are critical.  Try The Spice House
(www.thespicehouse.com) for fabulous Saigon cinnamon -- it'll change your
perceptions!  Also, King Arthur has an extract called Millefleur (or
something close to that) which lends a somewhat inscrutable but very lovely
taste to sweet breads.  It would provide a nice background note for your
spices to enhance.

Nutmeg:  just don't BUY ground nutmeg.  It is SO EASY to keep whole ones and
grate what you need right at the time.  Again, absolutely fresh and
astonishing compared to pre-packaged stuff.

Finally, a "loose end' thought -- have you added the proper amount of salt to
your dough?  While salt/sweet may seem like a conflicting pair, in fact the
salt not only helps regulate yeast growth but also "perks up" our taste buds
and opens the door for the very best flavor from other ingredients.