Caraway Rye Bread

"Margaret Cope" <mcope@connriver.net>
Sun, 07 May 2000 07:56:10 -0400
v100.n041.8
Caraway Rye Bread
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated

Sponge
2/3 c rye flakes toasted at 350F for 15 min
2 3/4 c water
2 tbs honey
1 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
3 c unbleached bread flour
1 tbs caraway seed

Bread
1 1/2 c bread flour
1 1/2 c Clear Flour (KA)
1 1/2 c medium rye flour (Pillsbury )
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 tbs salt
1 tbs caraway seed

Make sponge..cover and let sit overnight.

Stir other ingredients into sponge. I use KA mixer. Let rise twice at room
temp.  Form into traditional rye loaves.  PLACE ON CORNMEAL COVERED
PARCHMENT...cover with towel. Or place in 2 bread pan loaves (greased of
course).

After double, glaze with egg white/milk or cornstarch glaze from Secrets of
a Jewish Baker.  Make slashes.  Bake at 425F for 15 min ..Lower heat to
400F and bake another 15 - 30 min depending on size of loves..

While bringing 1 cup water to a boil, dissolve 2 Tbsp cornstarch in 1/4
cup cold water; whisk into boiling water until mixture thickens. Brush on
loaf before slashing & placing in the oven, and again as soon as you take the
bread out of the oven.

This glaze makes a wonderful crackling sound as the bread cools, a fine
reason to sit down and enjoy your blessings after a hard day at the
breadboard!

Flour measurements are approximate. I sometimes add some KA pumpernickel
flour.  You bread makers know how the dough should look and feel.  Please
excuse format but it is my recipe file format only with a bigger font.