Bosch vs. Magic Mill

rgcasey@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:21:02 -0400 (EDT)
v100.n038.13
I've decided to dump Kitchen Aid after a number of
frustrating experiences with their mixers.  I want to be
able to make two large loaves of whole wheat bread without
smoke, breaking gears, or dough streaming out of the bowl.

Bosch and Magic Mill seem the most likely alternatives.
Looking at the specs of the Bosch Universal Kitchen ($350)
I like its 700 watt capacity, but wonder about a machine
that is so broad-range.  Does a mixer really combine well
with a blender?  Also, I am used to invoking the full range
of speeds (12 or so) om my KA, whereas Bosch offers only
three.

The Magic Mill is lower powered (450 watts), but costs $100
more.  It also kneads by means of a scraping-rolling
process that I can't visualize.  If you want to use a dough
hook, recommended for heavy doughs, that is an optional
attachment ($35). It has variable speed control.

Any comments from current owners, particularly those who
make bread?  It would be most helpful in trying to make a
choice.  Otherwise, I guess I will make an arbitrary
choice, and make myself available to future breadmakers who
want to look beyond KA.

Richard Casey