Re: Digest bread-bakers.v100.n030

Joyce L Owen <jowen@oregon.uoregon.edu>
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 07:43:07 -0800
v100.n031.19
Phyllis asked how much instant yeast to use in making a sponge.
Since the sponge sits around brewing for a variable period (hours or
days), and the yeast is replicating, it doesn't really matter. One
quarter teaspoon is plenty, but more is probably OK.
Joyce

 >I have been making Bernard Clayton's Old Milwaukee Rye bread.  It calls for
 >a sponge made with rye, water, yeast and caraway seeds.  The sponge can be
 >used as early as 6 hours later or as late as 3 days later.  I've been
 >leaving it for 3 days.  But I have some questions:
 >
 >First question:  it calls for 1 package dry yeast.  I use instant yeast
 >(Fleischmann's) and buy it in bulk.  How much should I use?

Joyce L. Owen           <mailto:jowen@oregon.uoregon.edu>
Eugene OR
A town that we call by its first name.