sorry and a recipe

"Nini Chinjen" <nchinjen@skyinet.net>
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:18:10 +0800
v100.n030.19
Here is a favorite savory roll recipe which I also use to make cheese bread.
The dough is very forgiving and stays fresh for 4 days (each roll sealed in
plastic). The filling can be used to stuff steamed buns (sio-pao) - a
favorite Filipino dim-sum. You can fill the dough with all sorts of fillings
like longganisa (sausage), chorizo, tuna, corned beef...

ASADO ROLLS

Dough:
Bread flour 1 Kg (plus approx 50 gm for kneading)
Potato starch  55 gm
SAF yeast 15 gm (3 tsps)
Warm water 1/4 C
Sugar 1/2 tsp.
Fresh milk 1/2 C
Warm water 1 1/4 C
Shortening 110 gm
Salt 3 teaspoons
Sugar 200 gm
Medium eggs 4 pieces

1. Proof yeast in 1/4 cup water and 1/4 tsp. sugar.
2. Sift together 3 cups flour with the potato starch. In a mixer blend
together sugar, shortening, proofed yeast, eggs, flour and salt. Mix at
medium speed until well blended and slightly thickened. Stir in enough flour
(by hand) using a large rubber spatula to make a soft dough. Dump in well
floured working table and knead in remaining flour until you end up with a
very smooth, pliable dough. Round out the dough.
3. Place dough in a well greased bowl and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours or
until double. (You can give it two risings).
4. Punch down and place in a greased work table. Cut out 75 gm pieces, roll
and rest for about 10 minutes. Flatten each piece with your palm and with
the heel of your right hand flatten the outer edges to make a rough round
shape (middle part should be thicker than the edges). Place about a
tablespoon of filling in the center and spread with a spoon. Gather edges
together and seal top by pinching. You should come out with a round bun.
Place in large greased muffin tins and flatten top slightly. Cover with a
large greased plastic and set aside to rise for at least 1 1/2 hours or
until almost double.
5. When oven is preheated to 350*F paint the tops with 1 egg beaten with 2
teaspoons milk. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove buns from tins and cool
completely. Yield: 24 pieces

Asado Filling:
Pork (with skin and fat), diced in small pieces 500 gm
Soy sauce 1/2 C
Garlic, minced 4 cloves
Black pepper 1 tsp.
Salt 1/4 tsp.
Bay leaf 1 crumbled into large pieces
Star anise 2 small pieces
Sugar 1/3 C
Water 1 C

Cornstarch 2 heaping tablespoons
Water 1/4 C

1. Place pork pieces in a casserole or saucepan and mix in all ingredients
except 1 C water. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Pour in water, boil at medium heat, mixing occasionally. Simmer at low
heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until pork is very tender and liquid seems
thick. If necessary add a tablespoon more of water and continue simmering.
3. Prepare cornstarch mixture and add to pork. Mix well but do not boil as
this might make the fat separate from the sauce. Sauce should be very thick.
Cool completely before using. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead, refrigerate).

Notes:
- Fish out the anise seed and bay leaf BEFORE scooping into the dough.
- I use a small ice cream scooper to fill the dough.
- Make sure none of the filling comes in contact with the edges of the dough
before you close it, it will be impossible to seal it if it does.
- I bake the buns in large ensaimada molds, I think they look like brioche
molds, but I'm not sure. They come out very attractive with grooves on the
side.
- Filipinos generally don't like bread that's too brown so I usually cover
the tops with a greased foil after 12 minutes of baking.
- This roll stays fresh and soft for 4 days at room temperature sealed in
plastic.

Nini
Philippines