creme fraiche

"L. Hyson" <lhyson@mindspring.com>
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 21:20:09 -0500
v100.n027.19
For Lynne E. Cragholm - I have several recipes for creme fraiche which I am
posting below.  Looking thru my file forced me to finally discipline myself
and get rid of those that didn't seem right.  I can purchase creme fraiche
at Wellspring's Grocery in Raleigh, NC and if you have a Whole Foods or
Bread and Circus they probably would have it.

These recipes are ones I have used and can't decide which I like best -
someday I will make that decision.  Would really appreciate your input.

This is an old one from the NY Times which I lived in NYC and comes from
Paula Wolfert who also uses a freeze-dried starter called Solait.  At least
she did when the recipe was printed - don't know if they make it any more.

Creme Fraiche #1

1 cup heavy cream at room temperature
2 tablespoons buttermilk or Solait creme fraiche starter

Combine cream with buttermilk or starter.  Put into a clean, warmed thermos
or glass jar.  Cover tightly and keep in a warm place for 6 to 8 hours.  If
using creme fraiche starter, keep covered for 24 hours.  When mixture has
jelled andis almost firm, refrigerate.  It will solidfy further in the
fridge.  Will keep for a month if made with the Solait and for 10 days with
the buttermilk.

Creme Fraiche #2

1/2 pint commercial sour cream
1 pint heavy cream

Turn the sour cream into a saucepan and gradually stire in the heavy cream
to make a smooth blend.  Heat gently to take off the chill (not over 85F)
and pour into a container.  Set it ut at around 75F for 6 to 8 hours or
overnight, until the cream has thickened.  Stir up, cover and refrigerate.
When supply is almost exhausted, simply blend in more heavy cream and repeat
the process.

Creme Fraiche #3 - from Food & Wine from the year one

2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup buttermilk

Combine in a saucepan and heat until warm (just under 100F)  Do not let get
hot.
Pour into a plastic or glass container.  Place container, covered, in a
basin of warm (100F) water.

Allow to stand for 12 to 36 hours or until thick.  Every now and then
replace water to keep it warm

Refrigerate for up to a week.

The most important thing:  do NOT use ultrapasteurized heavy cream.

     Louise Hyson