Spelt Bread Recipes

Joni Repasch <jrepasch@wt.infi.net>
Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:35:12 -0500
v100.n025.4
This is in response to Becky's (mteacher@mindspring.com) request for a
spelt flour recipe for bread. Thought the rest of the readers my like the
recipes included below too.

Hi Becky,

This is in response to your request to the Bread Baker's Digest for a Spelt
Bread Recipe using ABM.  Well here it is!

I too have been trying to find a recipe for spelt flour bread that uses no
wheat flour.  I have a close friend who is allergic to the latter and

I have been searching everywhere for such a recipe so I can bake bread for
her.  Today I was at our local Whole Foods store (Fresh Fields). First I
located the spelt flour in the bulk food section and bought several cups.
By chance I happened to check out their baked goods section and also found
an Arrowhead package of spelt flour with a recipe

on it for their bread. Bought it too.  They included a recipe for both
machine made and manual made bread.

Hope this is what you're looking for.  I am going to try this first as
written, then may add a bread dough enhancer minus the wheat gluten. Some
time ago a few people submitted their own recipes for dough enhancers. I
have all the ingredients except the whey which was called for in one of the
submissions.  Guess I'll have to go to a health food store for that
ingredient as Fresh Fields doesn't seem to carry it.  I will also probably
add 1/4 cup dry milk and 1/4 cup potato flour as I find those additions
make a nice loaf of bread in my whole wheat bread recipes.
I'm going to forward a copy of this post to the BBD for this week so have
also included the manual method for baking spelt bread.

Oh, just in case you'd like to try spelt muffins, I have included that
recipe here too.
Let me know what you think of these recipes.

Joni Repasch

     Arrowhead Mill's Spelt Bread

3 1/2  cups Arrowhead Mills Spelt Flour
1 package yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 up warm water

For Bread Machines:

Place all ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer's
instructions. Bake one shortest cycle possible (NOT quick bread cycle). If
loaf falls a craters during baking cycle, decrease water slightly next time.
For Baking in Oven:

Dissolve yeast in water with honey and vegetable oil.  Add salt and 1 1/2
cups Spelt Flour. Beat well for 3-4 minutes. Cover with damp cloth and let
set in warm place for approximately 30 minutes or until double in size.

Add remaining flour turning onto floured board to knead.  Knead until
smooth adding additional flour if necessary.

Place in oiled loaf pan, cover with damp cloth and let rise in a warm place
until doubled in size (approximately 30 minutes).
Preheat oven 350F.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.

YIELD: 1 loaf

SOURCE: Arrowhead Mills

  Arrowhead Mills Spelt Muffins

2 1/3 cup Arrowhead Mills Spelt Flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed (available at Whole Foods, bulk food section)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs or egg substitutes
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375F. Mix all dry ingredients together.  In separate bowl
mix all liquid ingredient well.  Combine both mixtures, being careful not
to over-mix.  Fill oiled muffin cups 3/4 cull and bake 12-15 minutes or
until done.

SOURCE: Arrowhead Mills