Hello from a new baker

"Vikki Haffenden" <thehaffendens@cwcom.net>
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:54:33 -0000
v100.n025.2
Hi,

I am a new baker from England, and I hope this finally (after many
attempts) gets onto the digest!  Since initially writing I have had a
problem with my beloved Bread Machine..  Maybe some of you have had similar?

I cooked a wonderful sticky loaf with Malt extract in it overnight and when
I removed the loaf from the pan the paddle and spindle were stuck solid.  I
think the dough had penetrated into the nylon washer under the paddle and
cooked into "cement".   I have freed it, but it took ages, lots of soaking
and finally I resorted to picking at it with a toothpick!.

I still find the bread so much better than shop bought and the variety is
staggering.  I have prepared sourdough starter (and passed some onto a
fellow baker) and find this to be my favourite so far.

I used yogurt mixed with warm milk and rye flour and to start the culture,
and it has been growing well for a few weeks now and made 4 or 5 loaves.  I
addes a little yeast later on when it seemed to stop "working" as well as
before ( I think it got colder).
I will find a favourite recipe for my next message once I am sure this has
got through!

Good baking
Vikki from Brighton