Malts

"Chris Dalrymple" <chrisdd@bellsouth.net>
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:41:05 -0600
v100.n017.7
 >From: BILLPOTE@aol.com
 >Subject: Diastatic malt
 >Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:27:13 EST

 >Can someone please explain the difference and uses of diastatic and
 >non-diastatic malt?

According to Peter Reinhart in Crust and Crumb:  Diastatic malt has active
enzymes that "acts like a vitamin pill" and is used in small quantities. It
feeds the yeast and adds flavor and color to the crust. Nondiastatic malt is
used in larger quantities as a flavoring agent.

I use barley malt syrup (from the whole foods store) in my whole wheat
bread ... doesn't say if it's diastatic or non, but it adds a subtle flavor
that I really like. The stuff is SO thick and sticky ... it makes molasses
seem user-friendly! The only feasible way I've found to measure it is to use
the Wonder cup I got from King Arthur.