RE: Hawaiian Sweet Bread

"Suzette Heiman" <sheiman@earthlink.net>
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:32:29 -0600
v100.n017.3
This might be the version of the Hawaiian King rolls some are looking for.
It's a great dough for just about any kind of bread. I can't remember the
exact source, but think it was from the Beardstown Ladies investment book
published a few years ago.

Hawaiian Sweet Bread

6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup mashed potato flakes
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 packages yeast
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup pineapple juice at room temperature
3 eggs

In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, potato flakes, sugar, salt, ginger,
vanilla, and yeast. In medium saucepan, heat milk, water, and margarine
until very warm (120-130F). Add warm liquid, pineapple juice, and
eggs to flour mixture. Blend with electric mixer at low speed until well
moistened; beat at medium speed for 4 minutes.

By hand, stir in 3 cups of flour to form a stiff dough. On a floured
surface, knead in 1/2 to 1 cup flour until smooth, about 5 minutes. Place
dough in a greased bowl. Cover with clean towel. Let rise until doubled in
size, about 90 minutes. Punch dough down.

This is a very light dough and very tasty. It can be shaped into dinner
rolls of any shape. I also use this dough to make cinnamon rolls or bread.
After shaping the dough into desired forms, let it rise until doubled in
size. Bake dinner rolls for 15-20 minutes in a 350F oven (until
browned).