Instant Yeast and San Francisco Sourdough Bread

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:02:01 -0500 (EST)
v100.n016.10
Someone asked about instant yeast experiences.  I have used nothing but
instant yeast for several years now.  I buy it in bulk from King Arthur and
keep it in a glass jar in the freezer.  It works beautifully.  There is no
need to proof it as about 90% of the yeast is alive as opposed to about 50%
in the little supermarket packets.   I mix it in with the flour (and what
other dry ingredients are called for) and then add the mixed liquid
ingredients.  I do not, however, used the so-called rapid rise yeast.  This
stuff has enzymes in it that do not allow the dough to rise properly and
develop full flavor.

Someone else made the comment that Ed Wood's San Francisco sourdough
starter does not make good sandwich bread as it is rather dense and
heavy.  This has not been my experience.  I find that it is excellent for
sandwiches, toast, and as a dinner bread (when wrapped in foil and heated
in a 400F oven for 7 or 8 minutes).

The Tarheel Baker