bread bowls

Sat, 12 Feb 2000 20:19:08 -0800
v100.n015.27
Someone requested (privately) a recipe for bread bowls from me.  I lost the
letter so I am sending this in hopes that the person is on list....
sigh!!  I have not made this yet .... but they look really good.

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         Crusty Homemade Bread Bowls

Recipe By     : Betty Crocker's Bread Machine Cookbook
Categories    : Bread Machine                    Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                  Breads                           Daily Bread Mailing List
                  Eat-Lf Mailing List              Low Fat

     1      C             Water
     2 3/4  C             Bread Flour
     1      Tbsp          Sugar
     1      Tsp           Salt
     1 1/2  Tsp           Quick Active Dry Yeast -- Or
                          Bread Machine Yeast
     1                    Egg Yolk
     1      Tbsp          Water

Measure carefully, placing all ingredients except egg yolk and 1 Tbsp water
in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.

Select Dough/Manual cycle.  Do not use delay cycles.

Remove dough from pan, using lightly floured hands.  Cover and let rest 10
min on lightly floured surface.

Grease outsides of six 10 oz custard cups.  Place cups upside down on
ungreased cookie sheet.  Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.  Roll or pat
each piece into 7" circle on lightly floured surface.  Shape dough circles
over outsides of cups.  Cover and let rise in warm place 15 - 20 min or
until slightly puffy.

Heat oven to 375F.  Mix egg yolk and 1 Tbsp water; brush gently over bread
bowls.  Bake 18 - 22 min or until golden brown.  Carefully lift bread bowls
from custard cups - bread and cups will be hot.  Cool bread upright on wine
rack.

Success Tip: When placing the dough circle over the cup, don't let the
dough curl under the edge of the cup.  It will bake onto the edge of the
cup and be difficult to remove.  If some of the dough should bake onto the
edge, use the point of a paring knife to carefully separate it from the cup.

Try This:
These bread bowls are not only fun to use but are also great to eat.  Fill
the bowl with a crisp green salad and serve as a side dish.  Or fill it
with a thick, chunky stew or your favorite main-dish salad.

1 Bread Bowl (according to cookbook):
Cal 204, Total Fat 2g, Sat Fat 0g, Carb 50g, Fib 2g, Pro 7g, Sod 360mg, CFF 20%

NOTES : Cal 247.6
Total Fat 1.9g
Sat Fat 0.4g
Carb 48g