Sweet Milk Scone Recipe

Kathy Engel <kathye@icubed.com>
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:47:32 -0500
v100.n015.26
I have a wonderful scone recipe that came from a book titled "From Celtic
Hearths" by Deborah Krasner.  It was a Christmas gift about 10 years ago
and I have used it OVER and OVER again.  The author credits the recipe
to  "Scottish Cookery" by Catherine Brown Glenfiddich.  The recipe below is
for Sweet Milk Scones which I basically use as a starting point and then
add whatever we are in the mood for. Most often we eat Parsley and Onion
Scones with potato soup.  My husband and our 2-year old daughter love
them!  I can't tell you how many times he has burned his fingers because
when he smells them cooking he just can't wait for them to cool!  I can't
describe them adequately, they are just
wonderful.

Sweet Milk Scones

2-3 Cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Salt to taste
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
3/4 Cup milk

Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.  Sift
together the flour, soda, cream of tartar and salt.  Using a pastry blender
or your hands, cut in the butter (or pulse in a food processor) until the
mixture looks like coarse, grainy crumbs.

Pour the  milk in a well in the center and mix until a soft elastic dough
is formed. Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface until smooth. Roll
or press the dough out until it is 3/4 inch thick.  (If the dough is too
thin the scone won't rise properly.)

Cut into 2 1/2 or 3-inch rounds with a cookie cutter or a glass and bake on
prepared sheet for about 10 minutes or until they rise and are golden.

The book lists the yield as 8 scones, I usually get 10 or 12 using the full
3 cups of flour.

To make parsley and onion scones add about 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
and 1 or 2 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes with the dry
ingredients.  These amounts are VERY approximate, I used to measure but now
I just dump in the onion flakes and parsley until it looks "right".

There are other variations listed in the with the recipe, if there is an
interest I can post the variations listed for things like honey, jam, fruit
etc.

Kathy

P.S. This is my first posting, I just joined a few weeks ago and wanted to
share this wonderful recipe.  From what I have seen the list is
great!  Also, I apologize in advance for any typos, my two year old doesn't
nap anymore and likes to help with everything, especially the computer and
in the kitchen!