taste of German bread

Lobo <lobo119@worldnet.att.net>
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 10:15:08 -0700
v099.n066.14
 > - Your readers rave about the taste of some breads in Germany. Do you
know, what is the secret ingredient?

Whole and coarsely ground grains, I'd say ... they did have some bread I
didn't like (a plain rye, I think), but the 4+ grain bread had things in it
like hazelnuts, rye, barley, cracked wheat, sunflower seeds, sesame seed,
poppy seed, etc.  There was something to sink your teeth into, unlike our
commercial bread which, to me, is no better than biting into a facial tissue.

I'll be posting another recipe I received from a German woman as soon as I
bake it.  Since I tried 3-4 "many grain" recipes recently, and then had a
party at which only 1.5 loaves were eaten (after making 6-8 loaves), I
haven't had need to bake for a while!  And ... it wasn't because they
didn't like it ... it was that I asked for "RSVP, regrets only" and half
the people I invited didn't call or come.  The lovely guests who did come
devoured the many grain bread and left the white sandwich rolls alone ...
so I have 3-4 dozen rolls in the freezer too  :)

After re-reading that, I'm posting the recipe here and now, untried.
Otherwise, it could be weeks!    BTW ... I found a great site for making the
conversions easily from grams to ounces and celsius to fahrenheit...
http://ntl.nectec.or.th/services/converter/

Fuenfkornbrot

150 g (5.3 oz) Sauerteig (sour dough)
150 g (5.3 oz)Roggenschrotmehl (rye, fresh ground)
1/2 l  = 500 ml (1 pint) lauwarmes Wasser (maybe 600 ml (20 oz) lukewarm
water)
400 g (14 oz) Weizenschrotmehl (fresh ground wheat)
100 g (3.5 oz)Gerstenschrotmehl (fresh ground barley)
100 g (3.5 oz)Hafervollkornmehl (oatmeal, fresh ground)
50 g (1.8 oz) Leinsamen (flaxseeds)
40 g (1.4 oz) Hefe (yeast)
5 TL Sonnenblumenoel (5 tablespoon sunflower oil)
2 TL Salz (20 g = 2 teaspoon salt)
1/2 TL (1/2 t.) coriander (coriander, shredded)
Flour for kneading and oil for cookie sheet

- stir sourdough, rye and water together, put a bit of flour on top; let it
stand covered overnight at room temperature

- soak flaxseeds in water over night in the fridge.

- mix wheat, barley, oatmeal and flaxseeds (a bit warmed up). Put yeast in
warm water. After a while mix yeast (til double) and sour dough into above.

- mix in coriander and salt

- knead dough 10 - 15 min. very strongly til dough is smooth and shiny.

- put dough in a bowl for 2 - 3 hours til it is double. Cover it with a cloth.

-knead again and form a loaf. Cover it with a bit of flour and cover it with
a moist cloth and let it stand for 20 min. on a warm place.

-preheat oven at 250C. (480F.)

-place a bowl with boiling water on the oven ground.

-bake it strongly for 10 min. on the first level of the oven

-turn back the temperature to 200C (392F.) and bake it for another 45-60 min.