Frank Brewster, Jens Maudel, Lynn Cragholm, Spiffy

Haacknjack@aol.com
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:12:35 EST
v099.n064.28
Goodness, I seem to have had all my buttons hit!

First, Spiffy asked for a source for replacement parts.  In the U.S.A. at
least, try the aptly-named Culinary Parts Unlimited:  800/543-7549.  I and
friends have used them often, and they have not failed us yet.  Of course,
the more detailed info you can provide about the original machine (brand,
model number, perhaps approximate purchase date) will assist them in
identifying the correct part from their massive stock.

Lynn Cragholm asked about matzoh meal ... as a half Christian/druid/whatever
and half social-Jewish household, I usually have a box on the shelf.  I've
never used it in BREAD, however.  It substitutes nicely for bread crumbs in
casserole toppings or breading meat or vegetables for sauteeing.  I have some
good Passover cake recipies that use matzoh meal...if you want them, write me
direct and I'll happily supply.

Frank Brewster asked about AFAIK (As Far As I Know) and about what makes a
good "protein-taste" bread -- add at least SOME whole wheat or rye flour.
The crusty French or Italian bread that seems to be utterly "white flour"
probably contains a bit of rye (perhaps 1/2 cup to 4 cups of white).  This
little touch makes a very perceptible difference.  Maybe it's the same idea
as the ginger that showed up in two of the "bread-enhancer" recipies last
posting!!

Jens Maudel asked about "loose" bread.  I would offer three possibilities --
(1) underkneaded (I can't say that I have EVERY over-kneaded a bread...worked
in too much flour in the process occasionally, but never over-KNEADED...)
(2)  Over-risen (it's better--within sensible limits--to put the bread in the
PREHEATED oven a little to soon than a little too late)   (3)  Under-fatted
... full loaves of bread with NO fat or oil at all will go stale much faster
than their greased brethren.  Bread goes stale faster when refrigerated than
when left (covered) at room temperature.  If you're going to eat the loaf the
day you bake it, there's no big difference.  But, if you intend to nibble
over a week or so, be sure to include some butter, oil, or even whole milk to
enhance the "keeping" qualities.  The bread enhancer recipies last posting
that included lecithen might also do the trick.

Best of luck to everyone, I'm enjoying these conversations.