Re: Loose bread

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher60@earthlink.net>
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 07:58:52 -0500
v099.n064.27
Hi Jens -

I suspect you have already diagnosed your problem(s).

Sounds to me like you are probably both using too much yeast, and quite
likely allowing too much rising time.

I suggest you start by reducing the amount of yeast by one teaspoon at a
time until you start getting satisfactory results.  For the rising times,
most recipes will specify to "allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in
bulk."  First, you want a WARM place, not a hot one; in the summer time, I
just leave my bread on a counter with a cloth over it to keep out
contaminants.  In the winter time, I turn on my kitchen range oven on low
just long enough to get it warm, then turn it off.   After I check to make
sure that the temperature is not over about 85 degrees Fahrenheit, I put the
covered dough in there to rise.  I check it once per hour or so to make sure
it has not cooled too much and reheat as necessary (remove dough from oven
while reheating).

It is difficult for many people to judge when dough has "doubled in bulk"
using the usual container with a small bottom and sloping sides, so it is
not a bad idea to get a container with a flat bottom and straight sides to
make it easier to tell when doubling has occurred.

[[am sending this direct as well as to the list so you don't have to wait
for the digest]]

Best of luck!

- - -
Bill Hatcher