Re: Bread Tunnels

"Mark Judman" <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:51:39 -0500
v099.n059.13
Dave Wester wrote
>The problem is big holes through the loaf.
>The last time I made my standard mashed potato whole wheat bread, one loaf
>had a big hole through half the loaf while the other loaf had only one very
>small hole!  .... I have also tried using a rolling pin to flatten the dough
and press out any gas bubbles
>before rolling up the dough to form the loaf.

Dave,
My guess would be how you form the loaves.  I suspect that when you roll up
the dough you're creating the hole then.  Some books I have seen recommend the
following technique to get a uniform loaf.  I do this.  Flatten out the dough
and fold it into thirds (like a business letter) then bring up and join the
two ends together, hitting the joint with the heel of your hand to help
seal it. Then (optionally) rotate the resulting log 90 degrees, flatten it
out and repeat the process.  Stretch the ends to the underside so the way
it was rolled won't show.  I suspect the oiling of the bowl has nothing to
do with it.

Mark Judman  <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>