Re: A Good First Bread Machine

"Mark Judman" <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:37:44 -0500
v099.n059.12
Debbie Nance wrote

>I have a question.  I have always made my bread by hand.  Recently, I have
>began to think about getting a bread machine.  What would be a good first
>bread machine?

>A second, related question I also have is:  Is it worth it to use a bread
>machine?

Debbie,
I don't have a bread machine and make bread by hand so I'll only address the
second question, even though it might make me flame-bait.  Bread machines
can be used as bread dough mixers, that is, as a substitute for heavy duty
mixers like the KitchenAid.  If that's your intention, it's probably more
efficient to just get a heavy duty mixer, which can also be used for cakes
and cookies.  On the other hand, when bread machines are used as they're
apparently ntended, they appear to be philosophically and esthetically the
opposite of making bread by hand.  They deprive you of contact with your
dough.  I am drawing a distinction here between process and results.  If
you're someone who gets satisfaction out of the by-hand portion of the
bread baking process, the "I did it myself with my own hands," kick, I
suspect you're not likely to be happy with a bread machine. Yes, you may
get good bread out of the things, but if the overall process is meaningful
to you, you may not be happy.

Mark Judman <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>