Betty Crocker Dinner Roll recipe

Kejah@aol.com
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 15:42:46 EDT
v099.n053.17
    Hi, Marie!  I hope this is the recipe you're looking for.  It comes from
a musty 1956 edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook I "inherited" from my
grandma.  The recipe is called Sweet Roll Dough and is accompanied by 15
shaping suggestions for dinner roll shapes, so the dough is not just for
breakfast-type sweet rolls.

Sweet Roll Dough

1/2 cup warm water
2 pkg. active dry yeast
1 1/2 c. lukewarm milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup soft shortening
half of 7 to 7 1/2 cups sifted flour

    Dissolve yeast in water.  Stir in milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and
flour.  Add enough remaining flour to handle easily; mix with hand.  Turn
onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 min.).
Round up in greased bowl, greased side up.  Cover with damp cloth.  Let rise
in warm place (85F) until double (about 1 1/2 hour).  Punch down; let rise
again until almost double (about 30 min).  Divide dough for desired rolls.
(The recipe says this dough will make 1 large coffee cake and 1 1/2 to 2
dozen rolls.)  Shape, let rolls rise 15-20 minutes, and bake 12-15 minutes
at 400F.
    If you'd like coffee cake directions, let me know.  The recipe also says
that you can vary the dough recipe by using only 1/2 cup milk, 1 tsp. salt
and 4 1/2 to 5 cups of flour to make a richer dough.

Hope this is "the one"!
    Kris