Betty Crocker Rolls

C & D <chico@comnet.ca>
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 10:37:45 -0700
v099.n053.16
Marie:

My mom gave me a Betty Crocker cookbook years ago, originally published
in 1969.  There are several rolls recipes in there, but the "Refrigerator
Roll Dough" seems to be the most versatile; it has suggestions for brown
and serve, casseroles, cloverleaf, crescent, etc. I won't type all the
instructions for thevarious forms, but here's the basic recipe for the dough.

Refigerator Roll Dough, from "Betty Crocker's Cookbook", Golden Press, 1979

1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup unseasoned lukewarm mashed potatoes
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour*

Disolve yeast in warm water in large bowl.  Stir in potatoes, sugar,
shortening, eggs, salt and 3 cups of the flour.  Beat until smooth.  Mix
in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.  Turn dough onto
lightly floured surface; knead until smooth & elastic, about 5 minutes.
Place in greased bowl, turn greased side up. Cover bowl tightly and
refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 5 days.

Punch dough down, divide into 4 equal parts.  Use 1/4 of the dough for
any dinner roll recipe.

*if using self-rising flour, omit salt
You can substitute 3 to 4 cups whole wheat flour for the second addition
of the all-purpose.

Good luck!

Catherine