Re: German Dark Bread Recipe

Natalie Frankel <natalie.frankel@mixcom.com>
Sat, 09 Oct 1999 22:58:37 -0500
v099.n051.17
"Stone, Kenneth" <Stone@CSD.com> wrote:
>Does anybody out there have a good recipe for Black Russian Rye
>Bread. I'm relatively new to baking and have tried a "plain" rye bread but
>I love the rich dark rye that I get from the store.

Here is one I saved from a digest in January that I want to try.  I haven't
tried it yet, but it
looks very good to me - and maybe the poster can give you some tips and
supply some of
the missing instructions.

>From: "parsons@futureone.com" <parsons@futureone.com>
>Subject: German Dark Bread Recipe
>Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 13:45:13 -0700 (MST)

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            German Black Bread

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 15

   1       pk           Yeast
   1       tb           White sugar
  1/2      c            Bread flour
  1/2      c            Medium rye flour
   2       c            Whole wheat flour
     1/2   c            Unprocessed bran flakes
   1       tb           Caraway seeds
   1       t            Salt
   1       t            Instant coffee powder
     1/4   ts           Fennel seeds
   1       c            Water
   2       tb           Water
   2       tb           Molasses
   2       tb           Cider vinegar
     1/2   oz           Unsweetened chocolate

  (I would cut back on that a bit) Cool the mixture to 105-115 degrees and
  add to dry ingredients. I suspect the exact ingredients don't really matter
  all that much. As long as the flour-to-liquid proportions are such as to
  make a dough of good consistency, the result will probably be highly
  edible.

  From the Meal-Master database of Steve Zielinski, <stevez@ripco.com>, fall
1998.