"Glory" Bread

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:09:47 -0400 (EDT)
v099.n051.15
Like many of the bakers that subscribe to this list, I like to make
variations on a recipe.  Here's one that I came up with recently that I
think is glorious.  I have a friend named Glory and, since both she and
the bread are glorious, I have named it "Glory" Bread.

4 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons dried rosemary
5 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon olive oil
Thoroughly mix the first 8 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Blend
the olive oil and water and pour into dry ingredients mixing with a
wooden spoon.  Turn out on a floured surface and knead until dough
springs back when you stick your finger in it.  Form into a ball and
place in an oiled (olive, of course) bowl, cover with plastic wrap and
let rise for 1-1/2 hours or until doubled.  Remove from bowl and knead
briefly.  Form into 2 batards and place in an oiled batard pan or on an
oiled baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel, and let
rise for 1 hour.  Thirty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 375F
(with a baking stone inside, if you  have one).  When dough has doubled
in size, slash, and spritz the top with cold water.  Spritz the inside
of the oven as well.  Bake for about 30 minutes or until the bread's
inside temperature reaches 190F (using an instant thermometer). Let cool
for about 30 minutes - if you can.
Note;  This recipe will also make 4 baguettes or a focaccia.  Glorious!