Looking for a recipe for sour deli rye

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 22:33:36 -0700 (PDT)
v099.n051.14
My mother, who says if I use the adjective aging she'll find me and
slap me, uses a bread machine these days because she says she just
doesn't trust anyone's bread anymore. Even her local bakeries seem to
be using all kinds of nasty additives and unnecessary ingredients.
(Give her a break, she's over 80!) But she regrets that she cannot
approximate a good sour deli rye. I know it's possible to get some
additive from King Arthur that will enhance the flavor of the bread,
but a) that would be an additive and as mentioned, she's not fond of
additives and b) (most importantly) she really can't afford that kind
of thing. It was a treat for her to buy rye flour. Does anyone know of
a recipe (preferably 2 pound) for a good ABM sour deli rye that doesn't
involve any expensive additives and also does not require a sourdough
starter because, at 80, she isn't all that great at remembering what
that stuff in the container is, much less that she has to feed it....
<grin> and <sigh>

Thanks!

gypsy

=====

Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
http://www.cats-cradle.com/hearthstone/index.html

The gods move in mysterious ways. Sometimes it falls to us mortals to read
them the road map...