Chowning's Rolls

"J.J. Sommerville" <cuttlefish@mindspring.com>
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:08:21 -0400
v099.n044.7
I went to make these today and I can't find my information on how much
active dry yeast to use (instead of instant).  I also thought that with
instant yeast, you didn't have as long of a rise, but according to this it's
about the same as active dry.

This recipe came from Chowning's Tavern in Williamsburg.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Chowning's Roll

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Breads

  4                Lbs  Bread Flour
  1               Tbsp  Salt
  2              Tbsps  Instant Yeast
  2                  C  Warm Water
  2              Tbsps  Oil
  2                     Egg Whites

Mix the flour, salt and yeast.  Add water, oil and the egg whites.  Mix to a
well-developed dough.
Let rest for 1 1/2 hours.  Punch down and let rest for one more hour.
Form dough into 3 to 4 oz rolls.
Let rest until doubled in size.
Bake in a preheated 400-425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

Source:
  "Chowning's Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg"
Yield:
  "22 Rolls"

Per serving: 310 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (7% calories from fat); 10g
Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 298mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0
Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Makes 22-24 rolls.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0