Re: Banana Raisin Oatbran Muffins

Natalie Frankel <natalie.frankel@mixcom.com>
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:28:15 -0700
v099.n044.6
Reggie asked
>How about some recipes for breakfast breads??  We will be taking an
>extended trip and would like to make some of these rather then eating out
>each day.
This is my all-time favorite breakfast.  I make these weekly, freeze them
and have one each morning at work (since I leave to early to eat at home).
These muffins are based on a recipe posted to one of the lists I belong to
(I believe the fatfree list) by Randall Morgan (bfr453@lafn.org).  I have
made a number of revisions and here is what I make:

Banana Raisin Oatbran Muffins

Blend in blender:
4 ripe bananas
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla

Pour into a bowl and stir in the following mixture:
1/3 cup sucanat (or sugar of your choice)
1 TB. baking powder
2 cups oatbran
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup reduced fat soy flour  (if not used, increase oatbran by 1/4 cup)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp mace (optional)
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (optional)

Mix well and spoon into cupcake tins, filling the tins to the top.
Sprinkle with raw sugar.
Makes 8-10 muffins.  Bake at 425 degrees F for 18-20 minutes, until browned
on top.  Serve warm or cool, then freeze.  Can be thawed or reheated in
toaster oven for 15 minutes at 300 degrees F before eating.  I like them
warmed, cut, then sprinkled with a small amount of raw sugar.  A very
delicious and filling breakfast food.