Norwegian multi-grain

rbparker@swipnet.se (Ron Parker)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 16:30:20 +0200
v099.n033.7
Hello all,

I am a resubcriber after an absence during which I moved from the US to
Sweden. My friend and I very much enjoy a multi-grain bread from Norway
that is, alas, not shipped to the Stockholm area. We have purchased and
frozen some on some brief trips to Norway, but we can't do that every week
or so.

The bread is found in many bakeries in many parts of the country, so it
must be sort of a standard. It is variously called 5-grain, 6-grain, many
grain, and so forth. It is a pan loaf, soft but very chewy - the kind of
texture one dreams of in a daily loaf. It is not at all sweet.

It is obvious that it contains a very high protein wheat flour, rye flour,
and whole grains of linen, sunflower, sesame, and what might be
lightly-rolled oats or barley. There are also some unidentified small
grains that could be a pale wheat of some kind.

Does any one know of a widely-used 'commercial' recipe for such a bread? U
plan to use it at home of course, but I mean 'commercial' in the sense that
almost any bakery has it. It is even in 7-11 stores in Oslo - delivered
fresh several times a day as is the custom in Norway.

Salivating at the thought.

Ron

Ron Parker outside Stockholm in Sweden
<mailto:rbparker@swipnet.se>