Two pound bread machine-adapting recipes

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 12:19:58 -0700 (PDT)
v099.n033.4
I recently traded in my old but reliable Dak R2D2 model (1 1/2 pound
loaves, but cylindrical ones that no one in my family can use for
sandwiches) for a new Oster machine that makes a 2 lb loaf shaped
loaf. Since I have about seven really good books chock full of 1 1/2
lb recipes, I would love to know a good rule of thumb for adapting 1
1/2 lb (3 Cups flour) recipes for use in a 2 lb (4 cups flour) machine.

I have made two loaves already using recipes that came with the
machine, and they turned out lovely and make GREAT sandwiches (and
really good toast, too) But there's an onion-egg bread recipe in one
of my books that I am anxious to try in the new machine. I learned
with the Dak that if you make a 1 lb recipe in a 1 1/2 lb machine it
gets overdone. Is this true with all machines?

(I'm planning to attend the Portland Bread Festival, although it won't
be the same without Reggie and Jeff. Well, and it won't mysteriously
coincide with my wedding anniversary this year, either.... If anyone
is planning a get together there, I'm up for it. But I think there's
just the two of us, or maybe there's three, in Portland, so it'll be
small of necessity. Maybe we could all meet at the stand where they
had those great pastries...oh, yeah, that was ALL of them!)

blessings

phyllis

===

Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
http://www.cats-cradle.com/hearthstone/index.html

The gods move in mysterious ways. Sometimes it falls to us mortals to
read them the road map...