Beignets?

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:33:40 -0400 (EDT)
v099.n030.13
Louise Norton writes:

"Hello to all, have been lurking but need your help. I am looking for a
recipe for a deep fat fried sweet bread..it is cut into rectangles and
then the end is turned in to give it a twist..I think it might be
Mexican in origin but do not know..after cooking it is dusted with
sugar... do any of you know what I am talking about.. Thanks, Louise"

I don't know about the rest of you out there, but this sounds
suspiciously like the beignets that I used to gobble up at Cafe du Monde
when I lived in the French Quarter of New Orleans.  I think that they
are beignets with a Mexican "twist."  Find a beignet recipe, Louise, and
twist the rectangles just before you drop them into the oil.  Dusting
with a cinnamon and sugar mixture might just make them Mexican.

                   Bob the Tarheel Baker