Wheat-free bread

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:35:59 -0700 (PDT)
v099.n023.1
I don't know if this is gluten free because I have heard that kamut
contains gluten, but at least it contains no wheat flour.

ABM KAMUT/SPELT BREAD

2 tsp yeast
2 C kamut flour
1 C spelt flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tb vegetable oil
1 1/4 C water
3 Tb honey
3 Tb sesame seeds (optional; add these at the beep)

BTW, my friend who doesn't eat wheat flour (she's on some strange
diet, not allergic to gluten) says WHITE spelt flour is darned close
to white wheat flour and she has successfully substituted it
one-for-one in some recipes for wheat flour, and without adding
anything else to bind the recipe. She says white spelt is not to be
confused with organic (brown) spelt (I've never seen it so I'm not
sure what she means by this) and is available from specialty stores.
She gets hers at a health food store, and it is made by Bob's Red Mill.

Now, I have a recipe request. When she went on this strange diet, she
gave me all of her other flours, including two pounds of some
incredibly beautiful stone-ground whole wheat that she bought at Smoky
Mountain Nat'l Park (I think that's what it's called) where it is
ground in an old fashioned mill as a demonstration for visitors of
what life was like for the original settlers. There are a few other
nice flours, including oat flour and stone-ground cornmeal. I'm
looking for LOTS of recipes for multi-grain breads... (I hope I can
eat it all before these flours go rancid!)

Bright blessings

gypsy

===

Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
http://www.cats-cradle.com/hearthstone/index.html

The gods move in mysterious ways. Sometimes it falls to us mortals to
read them the road map...