Cups to Lbs

"Chris Moewes" <cmoewes@pobox.com>
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:34:26 -0600
v099.n008.13
Hi all,

I really hope this isn't a perennial question but I couldn't find any help
anywhere else.

Most of the recipes I run across give ingredients in terms of cups and I
recently took a baking class where I was told that it is better to measure
ingredients in pounds (weight vs. volume) especially flour. So my question
is, how much of a difference does this make, and is there a rule of thumb
for converting cups of flour to pounds of flour? Is there a golden rule that
says the perfectly sifted and properly settled cup of flour should equal a
specific weight.

Thanks.

 Christopher R. Moewes-Bystrom
 cmoewes@pobox.com
 www.pobox.com/~cmoewes
 Alex, I'll take Things Only I Know for $1000.