Ezekiel's Bread recipes

"Ellen C." <ellen@elekta.com>
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:11:27 -0400
v098.n066.13
(xposted to bread-bakers digest)

Sometime ago there was discussion about Ezekiel's Bread. I just came across
these recipes in an old MasterCook cookbook I created. I know I found these
recipes on the Net, but I sure can't relocate them.

These recipes call for the same ingredients, but I include both, as the
directions and cooking instructions are somewhat different. The first uses all
the ingredients to make multiple loaves, and the second reserves half the
milled grains for future baking.

Doesn't two tablespoons of yeast sound like a lot??

Ellen C.
<ellen@elekta.com>

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                             Ezekiel Bread #2

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Breads                           Hand Made
                Whole Grain & Cereal Breads

   2 1/2  cups          hard red wheat
   1 1/2  cups          spelt or rye
     1/2  cup           hulled barley
     1/2  cup           millet
     1/4  cup           green lentils
   2      tablespoons   great northern beans
   2      tablespoons   red kidney beans
   2      tablespoons   pinto beans
                        ---
   4      cups          lukewarm water
   1      cup           honey
     1/2  cup           oil
   2      tablespoons   Red Star Yeast
                        ---
   2      teaspoons     salt

Stir the first ingredients very well. Grind in flour mill.

Then measure the next ingredients into large bowl. Set aside for 3-5 minutes to
allow yeast to grow.

Then add the salt and the fresh milled flour to yeast mixture.

Stir until well kneaded about 10 minutes. This is a batter type bread and will
not form a smooth ball.

Pour dough into greased pans. You may use 2 large loaf pans or 3 med. loaf pans
or 2-9x13 pans. Let rise in a warm place for one hour or until the dough is
almost to the top of the pan. If it rises too much it will over flow the pan
while baking. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes for loaf pans and 35-40 minutes for
9x13 pans.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 2231 Calories; 110g Fat (42% calories
from fat); 16g Protein; 323g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 4285mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 3 Starch/Bread; 1 Lean Meat; 22 Fat; 18 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : For fasting, divide bread into 8 equal parts weighing 1/2 pound each.
Eat a 1/2 pound cake and drink a quart of water every day.

_____

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

              Ezekiel Bread, A Recipe from the Old Testament

Recipe By     : adapted directly from Ezekiel 4:9
Categories    : Breads                           Hand Made
                Whole Grain & Cereal Breads

   2 1/2  cups          whole wheat
   1 1/2  cups          whole rye
     1/2  cup           barley
     1/4  cup           millet
     1/4  cup           lentils
   2      Tbsp          great norther beans -- (uncooked)
   2      Tbsp          red kidney beans -- (uncooked)
   2      Tbsp          pinto beans -- (uncooked)
   2      cups          lukewarm water -- divided
                        ---
     1/2  cup           honey -- PLUS
   1      teaspoon      honey -- divided
     1/4  cup           extra-virgin olive oil
   1      tablespoon    active dry yeast
   1      teaspoon      salt

Measure and combine all the above ingredients in a large bowl. Put this mixture
into a flour mill and grind. The flour should be the consistency of regular
flour. Coarse flour may cause digestion problems. This makes eight cups of
flour. Use four cups per batch of bread.

Measure four cups of flour into a large bowl. Store the remaining flour mixture
in the freezer for future use.

Measure one cup lukewarm water (110-115 degrees) in a small mixing bowl. Add 1
teaspoon of the honey and the yeast, stir to dissolve the yeast, cover and set
aside, allowing the yeast to rise for five to ten minutes.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the following: olive oil, 1/2 cup honey and
remaining cup of warm water. Mix well and add this to the flour mixture in the
large bowl. Add the yeast to the bowl and stir until well mixed. The mixutre
should be the consistency of slightly "heavy" cornbread. Spread the mixture
evenly in a 11by15 inch pan sprayed with no-cholesterol cooking oil. Let the
mixture rise for one hour in a warm place.

Bake at 375 degrees for approximately thirty minutes. Check for doneness. Bread
should be the consistency of baked cornbread.

This recipe has been adapted directly from Ezekiel 4:9

>From:  Don Warrick

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 1697 Calories; 58g Fat (29% calories
from fat); 40g Protein; 274g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2166mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 8 1/2 Starch/Bread; 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 11 Fat; 9 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates

_____