Filled bread separating/Onion-Garlic bread recipe

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:25:11 -0700 (PDT)
v098.n062.9
I thought Shirley Corriher had a solution in COOKWISE for bread
separating from the filling; she does, sort of, in her recipe for Brie
Filled with Walnuts and Amaretto-Soaked Apricots in Brioche. This is a
three page recipe (and it's a full sized hardcover book) which is much
too long to reproduce here (since I don't have an OCR scanner!) but
the gist of it is that reducing the amount of egg white in the dough
prevents the bread from puffing too much and pulling away from the
filling. She replaces the five yolks and four whites of her original
brioche recipe with two whole eggs and five egg yolks. Additionally,
in the recipe that follows (the 1 1/2 page Sausage in Brioche recipe,
which is shorter only because it refers the reader back to the
previous recipe for the brioche...) she suggests coating the sausage
in an egg-flour mixture to prevent that gap between bread and filling.
She says to roll the sausage first in egg yolk, the in flour until
fully coated. This, of course, won't help with a cinnamon-sugar
filling (unless you're 'way more creative than I am!) but might work
for a dried fruit filling.

Since I've wimped out and didn't include Corriher's brioche recipes I
am going to abase myself by typing out the ABM recipe I sort of
invented as the result of not having all the ingredients to make Onion
Egg Bread from Tom Lacalamita's ULTIMATE BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK. Even
my husband, who doesn't normally like bread for its own sake, liked
this one.

ONION-GARLIC EGG BREAD for ABM
1 1/2 lb loaf

1 TB active dry yeast
3 C bread flour
3 Tb dehydrated onion flakes
2 Tb granulated garlic (I used Trader Joe's granulated roasted garlic)
1 tsp salt
1 Tb sugar
4 Tb nonfat dry milk
1 Tb butter or margarine
1 Tb olive oil
1 C water
1 large egg
1 tsp lemon juice

I did this on the manual setting and then let it do its final rise in
a standard loaf pan and baked it at 325 for 25 or 30 or so minutes
(until it was done...I didn't pay a lot of attention to the exact
amount of time) with a pan of hot water on the lowest shelf of the
oven. Apparently this did the trick, as we ended up with only one end
slice for breakfast the next morning.

Bright blessings!

phyllis

===

Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
this address is changing...watch this space for new address

The gods move in mysterious ways. Sometimes it falls to us mortals to
read them the road map...