Bread flour

jcoppard@awe.co.uk
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:49:25 +0100
v098.n062.4
John Lee and Vernon Webster wrote about bread machines and flour in the
UK.

Hi from another UK ABM bread-maker. I was given a Zo as a present and
find it an excellent machine. It's expensive (very) but looks as if it
will last well. Having got it I have been trying flours from various
health stores and local small water-driven mills and generally they all
give a good loaf. I find that a loaf made of half wholemeal and half
unbleached strong white flour does best for me.

I use an American recipe book but the American recipes have too much
sugar for me as I am a diabetic but  reducing the two tablespoons
usually called for to one teaspoon does not effect the rise and gives a
bread closer to UK style and flavour. Any comments?

I use health store malted wholemeal and granary flours and supermarket
white (Allison's or Marriage's) The 12p per 1.5kG seems a bit cheap and
I usually find that 70-90p is asked for in most supermarkets. The
wholemeal comes in at 99p - £1.12.

Nice to find a UK section in this list.

John M Coppard